Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Wonder and Appreciation

IMG_2824

Virginia Rail - Leslie Abram - Frink Centre

A couple of weeks ago I ventured out early to the boardwalk at the Frink Centre, north of Belleville. This is a popular spot for school groups, which tend to be...enthusiastic! I was there early enough that they hadn't arrived yet, nor were there any other humans. A portion of the boardwalk has been dismantled and will be rebuilt but it is still accessible with a little more effort.

It was quiet and peaceful and an unusual morning in terms of encounters with wildlife. I noticed the corpse of a duck in the water and when I looked closer I realized several turtles were feeding on the largely intact remains. When I leaned down the largest turtle grabbed the body and pulled it under the boardwalk to preempt my possible theft.

When I walked farther along I heard a noisy thrashing about it the cattails and was surprised to see the head of a White-Tailed deer, then another. They were well out in the water, perhaps to feed on new shoots.

Then I was surprised by the emergence of a small bird onto to the boardwalk. I thought it might be a Sora but it was probably a Virginia Rail, as seen in the photo by Leslie Abram (check out her website for some wonderful pictures.) http://leslieabram.com/ And I did see a water snake as well.


I find these times in the solitude, amidst other creatures going about their daily lives, to be contemplative and an invitation into a Presence which is healing, the "now" of existence which seems to evade us much of the time. There are no tasks in these moments, just a powerful sense of wonder and appreciation. I don't take this for granted and I thank the Creator of All.

Comments?



Water Snake -Garry Kirsch - Frink Centre

2 comments:

  1. We were in Belleville on Monday. We would have loved to see the Virginia Rail! We will have to check out the Frink Center soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only ten minutes or so north of the 401 and easy access to the trails. I'm sure you would enjoy it Lori.

    ReplyDelete