Friday, August 17, 2018

The Coffee Lid & the Holy Grail

Tim Hortons executives say the company has been using the same lids for 20 years despite consumer complaints that they leak.

I went to the same Tim Horton's franchise twice in eight hours recently, which was bizarre because we've been doing our best to stay away from fast food places for a variety of reasons, including the crazy amount of single-use plastic. The first time was through the drive-through at 3:30 in the morning -- no line-up! We were on our way to look for the Perseid meteor shower and we actually remembered to take our refillable mugs. A few hours later I discovered that our vehicle would be on the garage hoist for an hour longer than predicted, so I walked to the same location and drank from a china mug to put in time. My virtue knows no bounds.

The iconic Canadian company has just announced that they have found their version of the Holy Grail, a lid that doesn't leak (we'll believe it when we see it) and is more environmentally friendly. I'm more interested in the latter claim and when I look at the announcement it doesn't provide much detail. What will these lids be made of and how will they be "friendly?" 

For years the United Church has encouraged congregations and members to forego the use of styrofoam cups  and plastic water bottles. Plastic straws are the latest villains, although it's puzzling as to why they are worse than the rest of the mountain of plastic waste in which we wallow. We are using stainless steel straws at home now, and I like 'em. Whatever we can do to reduce our insane use of plastic suits me. While it may not seem like a sacred calling, I think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment