Thursday, July 30, 2020

Speaking Tree

Katie Holten 🌱 (@katieholten) | Twitter

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, 
bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God 
and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. 
On either side of the river is the tree of life

Revelation 22: 1-2 NRSV

Our two Trenton grandsons "attend"  a French school (they haven't physically entered the school in months) and I'm constantly amazed by their ability to move back and forth between two languages. Both boys can do mental math in French and English, and the seven-year-old reads well in both. 

The ability to speak more than one language and perhaps several is impressive and seems to be much easier for children. As we age we may be more inhibited (I am) and our brains are less responsive (mine is!) 

It seems to me that along with the languages of ethnic groups and nations there are the languages of the natural world which we are invited to learn as well. I came upon Katie Holden's I

I do consider trees to be sacred and the bible does as well, with many references to the holiness of tree and Godly encounters beneath trees. Not  surprisingly the notion of a tree alphabet delights me and we would all do well to endeavour to speak tree. It's never too late to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment