Saturday, September 8, 2018

Rise For Climate & Pray for Change

 Image result for rise for climate

Confession. You may be reading this blog at the time when I planned to hold a brief worship service by the water in Belleville. I've been aware for months that today, September 8th is Rise for Climate day across North America and in more than 90 countries around the world. I wasn't aware of any planned events in this community but I figured we could have a contemplative worship experience because I am convinced that the crisis of climate change is a spiritual issue as well as a monumental environmental challenge. 
 


I had lined up a good musician to lead us through Morning Has Broken and I planned to remind whoever came that we are on Mohawk land and that Kateri Tekakwitha is a homegrown, Mohawk saint of the Roman Catholic church who is now strongly associated with environmental themes. I planned to bring along my Robert Lenz icon which depicts her 
amidst the birches, with the turtle as symbol of the Earth.

What happened? I wasn't sure how to get the word out and lost my resolve. When I see the lovely forecast I'm annoyed with myself, but that's life. 
 Image result for kateri tekakwitha robert lenz
 
The global effects of climate change can seem overwhelming and insurmountable and we can lose hope. Surely, though, we must pray for the kindling of hope, and trust that "God so loves the world" that God came to us in Christ for the redemption of all Creation. 

Would you have attended the service? Do you want to smack me upside the head for not going ahead? Is climate change a spiritual matter?  


Image result for rise for climate

No comments:

Post a Comment