Friday, June 28, 2019

God's Light Show

pink anemonefish

Through the decades I've found that "church without a roof", the templum of the natural world is where I've experienced some of my most profound holy and even ecstatic moments. Some of them are anticipated, many are not. A pod of porpoises swimming beneath kayaks or a loon or snapping turtle under a canoe cannot be planned. Last year we descended into what is the largest hollow volcano on the planet in the Azores, only hearing that it existed when we got there,  and it was truly a sunken cathedral. We once sat on a balcony and watched a spectacular "dry lightning" storm atop Mesa Verde in Colorado.

An article in the excellent Hakai magazine about marine fluorescence brought to mind another fleeting "epiphany" when we were in Costa Rica. Fluorescence is the glow in seas and oceans from reefs and fish and plants and other creatures. Scientists are attempting to understand what the purpose of this mysterious light show is. https://www.hakaimagazine.com/videos-visuals/the-secret-light-show-below/
Image result for skimmer bird photos

My experience was of phosphorescence which is related to fluorescence. I was standing on a beach in Costa Rica in the near dark when a bird called a Skimmer did what its name describes, skimming along the surface in search of food. Phosphorescent creatures in the water were stimulated by this disturbance and suddenly there was a lengthy, glowing streak in the water. I was alone when I saw it and it was wondrous, a "burning bush" moment. This was 15 years ago yet I can recall it vividly.

The science of fluorescence and phosphorescence is fascinating but the actual visceral experience takes one out of oneself, at least for me. This is God's wondrous light show and I am grateful.

Image result for hollow volcano azores

Terceira, Azores

No comments:

Post a Comment