Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Elizabeth May and the Future

Image result for walrus elizabeth may

The Walrus Cover 2012

A couple of days after the federal election in Canada last month I suggested to Ruth, my wife, that Green Party leader Elizabeth May probably wouldn't stay long in that role. Well, yesterday she resigned as leader of the party, although she will continue as a member of Parliament.

May certainly "fought the good fight" during her 13 years of leadership and was often the most intelligent and mature voice in rooms full of squabbling men. She was steadfast in addressing the challenge of climate change which has developed into a climate emergency. She has regularly called for a non-partisan approach to the crisis and been steadfastly ignored.

I heard her interviewed on CBC radio this morning and she pointed out that late in the election campaign the Liberals moved from red to green in their climate talk. I'm convinced that May and the Greens helped "move the needle" in that regard, although I agree with her that we were being fed some inconsistent and insincere "green-washing" by the Liberals. It's why I and a million other Canadians voted Green and while this only translated to three seats I felt that I was voting my conscience without holding my nose to do so. 

Image result for elizabeth may wedding pictures

A Whale of a Wedding 

I've written before about Elizabeth May's Christian faith which she doesn't wear on her sleeve but has certainly been evident in her boots as she's "walked the talk." She's suggested that once she's done with politics she might pursue ordination as an Anglican priest. 

May will certainly not have oodles of spare time despite giving up the leadership of the Greens, she is 65, and she was recently married. Still, I'm hoping she writes about the integration of her faith, which certainly involves Creation Care, with her political drive for a livable world. I would certainly pre-order anything she would write on the subject.

Thank you Elizabeth May, for your courageous and unrelenting leadership. God's abundant blessings in the days ahead. You may have been born an American but you are an exemplary Canadian. 

Image





No comments:

Post a Comment