Tuesday, February 11, 2020

More Church Forests and Providence

Image result for church forests of ethiopia


A couple of days ago I wrote about an Emergence magazine essay by Fred Bahnson about the remarkable Church Forests of Ethiopia. They are sanctuaries of biodiversity in a deforested country. Bahnson is a Christian who is a eco-contemplative, an excellent writer who invites us to move deeper into our experience of Creation and Creator.

I also mentioned my friend Carmen who was in Ethiopia last year on a hiking trip with several others.  I sent him a link to a National Geographic article about Church Forests when I found out he was going and he visited a couple of them while there. In Ethiopia he and his companions chatted with another North American over lunch and discovered that this person was also writing an article about Church Forests.

98.-Church-procession

When I sent Carmen the link to the new Emergence essay and accompanying film he realized that his random encounter over lunch was likely with Fred Bahnson. They have since corresponded and, yes, it was writer Fred.

Perhaps this wasn't random or coincidental after all. I've spent the past couple of days marvelling over the long odds of this happening. I'm delighted that it did. I've heard that God moves in a mysterious way, God's wonders to perform. 

Here is the link to my recent blog on the subject and the National Geographic piece which got this all going. 

https://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.com/2020/02/mystical-church-forests-of-ethiopia.html

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/01/ethiopian-church-forest-conservation-biodiversity/

No comments:

Post a Comment