Thursday, May 7, 2020

Turning to Old Turtle in a Time of Crisis

Old Turtle by Douglas Wood


There are many important markers in the natural world that speak to me of Spring. The red-winged blackbirds, with their loud, "look at me" songs are usually the first and hardiest of the returnees.My spirit lifts when I see the first blue heron and kingfisher as we paddle. The buds on tree, trilliums, marsh marigolds -- all of them have a powerful psychological and  spiritual effect on me which is difficult to put into words. 

Now I'm looking for the first turtles of which there are several species in our area. They have a certain ancient, dinosaur-like quality to them, especially snapping turtles. 

I also appreciate that the turtle is an important symbol of the earth in its diversity and interconnectedness in different Indigenous cultures and I've written about this a number of times.  There is something about the current pandemic crisis which has got me thinking about that big-picture Turtle Island metaphor, even as I keep my eyes open for a first turtle sighting during our solitary rambles.

Cover art

I got out two children's books which I find meaningful and used with kids along the way, the second f which was a gift from a co-worker years back. Old Turtle was an award-winner back in the early 90's and it explores how different creatures imagine God to be through various senses. Eventually the wise old turtle offers that another species, humans, will argue about who God is, even as they desecrate the planet on which they live. The invitation is to experience God in all things and to "live with respect in Creation", as our United Church Creed encourages.

We need this message now, more than ever. In our confusing "stay inside, get outside" moment we can appreciate the beauty and complexity of Turtle Island, even if don't leave our backyards. And we will eventually emerge from the pandemic with an opportunity to reconfigure how we go about our daily lives and establish priorities. This coronavirus could open our eyes to the far greater impact of the collapse of ecosystems.Scripture regularly invites us to live with humility and simplicity, which we can  ignore at our peril. While Jesus never spoke of turtles, he did ask us to learn from the birds and the flowers about living beyond anxiety and realizing when enough is enough.

We can draw on a deeper wisdom for our sake and that of Turtle Island. 

Remember, only search for turtles at a responsible distance!


No comments:

Post a Comment