Saturday, March 6, 2021

Heavens Above!




Margaret Nazon: Milky Way Starry Night. (Collection of the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre; image via Glenbow.)


When I left your house this mornin'

It was a little after nine
It was in Bobcaygeon, I saw the constellations
Reveal themselves one star at a time.

                        Chorus of Bobcaygeon by the Tragically Hip 

The conclusion  of Psalm 19, the lectionary psalm for the day concludes with verse 14:

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart 

be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock, and my redeemer. 

Slight variations of this verse were the prayer before many a Sunday morning sermon for my minister father, for me over nearly four decades, and now our son, Isaac. As important as the conclusion of this psalm is, the opening words which speak of the heavens declaring the glory of God are just as meaningful for me. 

I love getting lost in a view of the night sky as well as relishing lengthening daylight hours as we move toward equinox and solstice. These are the everyday miracles of our existence on "the third rock from the sun." 

Here is a poem by British cleric Malcolm Guite which interprets the psalm beautifully: 

XIX Caeli enarrant 

 In that still place where earth and heaven meet

Under mysterious starlight, raise your head

And gaze up at their glory:  ‘the complete

 

Consort dancing’ as a poet said

Of his own words. But these are all God’s words;

A shining poem, waiting to be read

 

Afresh in every heart. Now look towards

The brightening east, and see the splendid sun

Rise and rejoice, the icon of his lord’s

 

True light. Be joyful with him, watch him run

His course, receive the gift and treasure of his light

Pouring like honeyed gold till day is done

 

As sweet and strong as all God’s laws, as right

As all his judgements and as clean and pure,

All given for your growth, and your delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment