Monday, March 22, 2021

World Water Day & Living Water


This morning I drove north of Belleville to walk at a conservation area along the Moira River, but I would have preferred to paddle. I did stop at a nearby boat launch and to my delight the river is now free of ice, or at least it is along the main channel. Less than two weeks ago we tentatively walked out on the ice to a small island just upstream. In the few minutes I was scoping the river out today I saw wood ducks, and a muskrat, and trumpeter swans. I was elated at the prospect of getting back on the water in a canoe or kayak, activities which saved our sanity through the bleakest days of the pandemic last year. 

This is World Water Day, so what better place to be than by a Canadian river. We are truly blessed in this country with an abundance of fresh and salt water. I do not take this for granted, and continue to give thanks for the beauty and variety, even into my dotage.


                                                                    Moira River this morning 

I've written often enough about the symbolism of water in Judeo/Christian scriptures, including Jesus' promise to provide Living Water to the Samaritan woman he encounters at a well, the longest conversation he has with anyone in the gospels. 

On this day we can be aware of the spiritual gift of water and its sacramental importance within our faith. 

As gospel people, called to justice, we can also be mindful that a shocking number of Indigenous communities within the borders of Canada do not have safe, drinkable water. Five years after Prime Minister Trudeau made a commitment to end this water crisis there are still more than 60 long-term water advisories in place. 

Thank God for Living Water. Please God, motivate leaders to bring about justice. 

Oh yes, I would appreciate your prayers that Ruth's heart will open to getting on the water this early in the season. 



No comments:

Post a Comment