Monday, March 18, 2019

Worship in Woods and By Water



Last summer I began a conversation with an area artisan named Robert White who creates remarkable pieces from wood. I first spoke with Robert at a farmer's market, lost touch, and found him at another. I asked Robert if he would be interested in creating a portable communion table for me to use in outdoor worship experiences along the Bay of Quinte. My hope then and still is to invited anyone interested to attend gatherings called Worship in Woods and by Water.

So many people, including plenty from congregations I've served have told me how deeply aware they are of the presence of the Creator in the natural world. As someone who appreciated worship within buildings and who is still attends Sunday services inside I am enthusiastic about getting "out there" to contemplate and praise the One who brought all things into being.

The story of the people of Israel is of worship in the wilderness as well as in synagogues and the temple. Jesus was often rejected within worship spaces but spoke profoundly to crowds on hillsides, on shorelines, and even in boats.

The Celtic Christians were inclined to worship outside as well, both communally and alone,  long before they built churches, and long after. 

After several months Robert has completed the project, not without detours along the road. We felt it fitting to incorporate local woods so he used black walnut with maple inlay to create a beautiful table which includes Celtic knot-work. It was fitting that I picked it up at his shop north of Wooler, Ontario -- on St. Patrick's Day no less! I brought along some "holy hardware" to give him an idea of who it would look in action.

Image result for wild church network

There is a growing interest in worshiping outside and even a coalition of enthusiasts called the Wild Church Network. The nearest of these worshiping communities in Cathedral of the Trees near Maynooth Ontario. I will lead an outdoor service for Trenton United, the congregation in which we now participate, on Good Friday morning and the communion table will probably make its debut.

I'm grateful to Robert for his craftsmanship and enthusiasm. I've taken to describing myself as a "be-wildered outsider" and he has helped to bring my passion to fruition.




No comments:

Post a Comment