Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Prayer Walking in Lent 2022

 

 Now on that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing, Jesus himself came near and went with them,  but their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 

                                 Luke 24:12-16

While searching for a book I never uncovered I did come across I did unearth a wee gem which was published nearly 30 years ago. It's called Prayer-Walking: A Simple Path to Body-and-Soul Fitness by Linus Mundy -- how could I not be intrigued by the last name? I don't know how I discovered it "way back when" but I found it inspiring because it schmecked with my personal experience at the time. Was it brilliant? Not really, but it was certainly worthwhile and the right book in the right moment. We were living in Sudbury where I served the largest congregation in Manitou Conference, right downtown. Still, I found time to get outdoors regularly. Sometimes these were prayerful walks and paddles on my own. 

We also had congregational hikes with up to 70 participants across a range of ages. Those outing were more for fun than contemplation. Still, I found out last Summer, decades after we had moved on, that a woman who wasn't connected with St A's at the time came on one of those church rambles with a sister who was part of the congregation and it awakened her to a love of the natural world and a reconnection with a religious community.

Some of you know about the current trend of Forest Bathing which has its origins in Japan. I have been on these contemplative walks and highly recommend them. I've blogged about Forest Bathing and included the concept in study groups on prayer. My only reservation is that this has become a bit of a "flavour of the day" experience and those who lead them pay thousands of dollars to qualify to do so. 

As Christians and Groundlings we can keep in mind that Jesus did his own Prayer Walking as an individual, with his disciples, and even after his resurrection. The story in Luke of the encounter between Jesus and despondent followers  on the road to Emmaus is one of my favourites. It was in the walking and sharing a meal that they were awakened and their hope was restored. 

I wonder if every congregation should provide resources for self-guided contemplative rambles as a priority for the journey of faith? Did we miss a golden opportunity during the past two years? 

I hope you can get out for a prayer walk today. 

Another gem in my personal library


No comments:

Post a Comment