Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Advent, Art, & the Rhythms of the Sea



I feel the winds of God today; today my sail I lift,

though heavy oft with drenching spray and torn with many a rift;

if hope but light the water's crest, and Christ my bark will use,

I'll seek the seas at his behest, and brave another cruise.

                                                         Voices United 625

O give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever...

 They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

 These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

 For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.

Psalm 107: 1, 23-25 King James Version 

 In our basement family room the walls are covered with photographs and art work which recognizes that we lived in Atlantic Canada twice while serving outport congregations in Newfoundland and a downtown congregation in Halifax, Nova Scotia. While these ministries were very different, in both provinces we took every opportunity to spend time near and on the ocean. 

During Advent I've been posting photos of art in our home, but I have to say that in my first pastorate in Newfoundland I didn't attempt to observe Advent because it was too "Catlick" or "Anglican" for the Methodist sensibilties of folk in my five churches. I've written about introducing a joint Christmas Eve service, though, which was received by some with skepticism for similar reasons but was attended by hundreds, one of the highlights of my ministry. 


In the photo above you'll see a tide clock which was set to the inhalation and exhalation of the ocean in an area we loved. What a marvellous rhythm of Creation. Two of the accompanying photos are from communities I served. That's a squid jigger in another, a reminder that we lived amongst those who
"went down to the sea in ships" some of whom thrived and others who  perished.

The Scrabble board we created using the names of different bodies of water -- and a glue gun. We searched out yard sales to find old games to provide enough letters to make up those words. 

We have fond memories of going into the woods with parishioners to search out a Christmas tree and having costumed mummers showing up at our door during the 12 Days of Christmas. We still have friends there. Through the years the sea has drawn us back to this part of Canada many times through the decades and, God willing, we will return. 



No comments:

Post a Comment