Sunday, February 3, 2019

Covenant With a Hermit

Charles Brandt fishing in 2008
Father Charles Brandt fly-fishing in an earlier time
Photo by George Reid

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him,
 “As for me, I am establishing my covenant with you and your descendants after you, 
 and with every living creature that is with you,
 the birds, the domestic animals, and every animal of the earth with you,
as many as came out of the ark.

Genesis 9:8-10

I've written several times about Father Charles Brandt, a Roman Catholic priest and hermit who has lived as both a solitary and environmental activist life on Vancouver Island for decades. I visited him at his secluded property and hermitage many years ago and recently a former worshipper at the last church I served here in Ontario wrote an article as a journalist now working in the area where Father Brandt resides.

James Wood tweeted a few days ago that Father Brandt, now well into his 90's, has worked out a legal agreement with the Comox Valley Land Trust to have his 27 acres on the Oyster River protected in perpetuity while the hermitage will continue to be used for that purpose. The term used for the agreement is "covenant" which I like because, well, it is so biblical. Covenants in scripture involve God and a person or people in a relationship which is like a contract or more. While I doubt there will be God-talk in the language of the covenant I like the implicit presence of the Creator whom Father Brandt honours in his worship life and activism. Who knows, there may be a rainbow involved.


The driveway to Father Charles Brandt's hermitage.
Photo by James Wood/98.9 The Goat/Vista Radio

Here is James' latest article and another I posted from Hakai Magazine along the way

https://www.mycomoxvalleynow.com/49425/covenant-drawn-up-to-protect-oyster-river-hermit-priests-land/

https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/the-oracle-of-oyster-river/

No comments:

Post a Comment