Sunday, December 1, 2019

Advent, Whiter Than Snow


Image result for snowfall

You desire truth in the inward being;
    therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
 Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
 Hide your face from my sins,
    and blot out all my iniquities.
 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    and put a new and right spirit within me.
 Do not cast me away from your presence,
    and do not take your holy spirit from me.
 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and sustain in me a willing  spirit.

Psalm 51:6-12 NRSV
Advent with its four Sundays leading to Christmas was originally a season in the Christian year akin to Lent, which is preparation for Easter. In earlier times it was lengthier and had the same tone of solemn reflection and contemplation. The liturgical colour was purple rather than blue, again like Lent. 

This morning we begin Advent with the prospect of a substantial amount of snow as the day progresses. This makes me think of the commencement of Lent on Ash Wednesday and Psalm 51, in which King David implores God, "wash me and I will be whiter than snow" and prays for a new and right spirit so that he may experience joy once again. 

One year we were forced to cancel our Ash Wednesday service as a result of near blizzard conditions, and the irony wasn't lost on us. Today's forecast suggests that we may be able to sneak in our Advent 1 worship service before the snow begins to fall. Through the afternoon and evening we can snug in and perhaps have our own moments of reflection with Creation's reminder of a fresh start. I imagine that the birds will be busy at our feeders, always a sign of hope in the midst of a storm. 

3 Birds, though you long have ceased to build,
guard the nest that must be filled;
even the hour when wings are frozen
God for fledging time has chosen.
People, look east and sing today:

Love the bird is on the way.

                       People Look East Voices United 9


No comments:

Post a Comment