Friday, June 26, 2020

Cottonwood Delight

Image preview

Eastern Cottonwood - photo: David Mundy

Two days ago I cycled along the Belleville waterfront at an early hour. It was rather overcast and the wind seemed to be a gale into which I was riding. Along the way I passed a number of Eastern Cottonwood trees, a species I wouldn't have identified at other times of the year but are so prolific in spreading their cottony seeds at this time of year.

As I huffed and puffed around Zwick's Park (did I mention it was windy?) I saw a lone cottonwood in one of the large grassy areas. The strong breeze had carpeted the lawn for at least 25 to 30 metres downwind. It was so unique and unexpected that I stopped and took a photo which just can't do it justice. 

I've mentioned a couple of times that we have taken to following the practice of an elderly woman described by Fred Bahnson in an essay about the Church Forests of Ethiopia. As she entered the wooded compound with the church structure at the centre the woman made the sign of the cross, bowed reverently, and then gestured as though she was receiving the gift of the trees. That moment near the cottonwood was holy for me.

On the return trip (with the wind at my back!) I stopped at our community garden plot. Behind the garden there are two stately Catalpa trees covered in blossoms. I love catalpas with their extravagant flowers and over-sized leaves. I felt blessed for the second time that morning. There is a biblical story of a garden, although it is Eden, not Eat'n. There is also a tree in that garden, which should have been admired rather than plundered, or so the story goes.

 All I know is that as I age I appreciate trees more and more, and know that they are a gift from the Creator. I'm doing my best to honour them, delight in them, and pay homage where it is due. 



Catalpa -- photo: Ruth Mundy

No comments:

Post a Comment