Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Going Spiritually Wild

30 Days Wild - do something wild every day for a month! - YouTube

This morning I was awake far too early, so, by six o'clock I was at the Frink Conservation Centre north of Belleville. This may shock you, but I was the only human on the boardwalk and on the trail down along the Moira River. It was lovely, a spiritual experience which restored my soul once again. I saw eight or nine blue herons between the two rambles. I  could hear a barred owl (who, who cooks for you all?) a pied billed grebe, a northern flicker and other birds. The blue flag (wild iris) and yellow water lilies are blooming in the beaver pond, always a welcome sight. 

I was alone today but Ruth and I have a brief ritual of acknowledging the Creator and the trees when we are out together, whether paddling, cycling, or walking. We started doing so a few months ago and it has become very important to us, what we hope is a virtuous habit. I took a moment to do so today. 

Image preview

The Moira River in the early morning

I noticed yesterday that there is a movement called 30 Days Wild which invites us to do something "natural" each day during June. Not all of us can get to spots which are wilderness, especially these days. Yet we can look out our windows to bird feeders or trees. Perhaps we can enjoy urban walks or cycles to "see what we can see, hear, smell," Yesterday I cycled along the urban waterfront trail in Belleville and saw a beaver cruising by  in the Bay of Quinte and my first monarch butterfly of 2020. 

Here is the invitation to  engage in "random acts of wildness" in June. You may have missed a couple of days and you may miss some more, but the Creator is generous in the forgiveness department!

This June, join thousands of people taking part in our annual nature challenge, 30 Days Wild! We want you to do one wild thing a day throughout the whole month: for your health, wellbeing and for the planet. That’s 30 simple, fun and exciting Random Acts of Wildnesshttps://action.wildlifetrusts.org/page/57739/petition/1

Image preview

The Maple Swamp at the Frink Centre

No comments:

Post a Comment