Sunday, July 26, 2020

Curiosity, Wonder & Attention in a Daily Journal

How to Teach Nature Journaling: Curiosity, Wonder, Attention ...

I began keeping a personal journal 35 years ago and missed few days since then. I had my day book while in ministry, so recorded the events of my work schedule. My journal has provided the opportunity to reflect on the events of my oft-times mundane, sometimes extraordinary events of my life. 

At some point along the way I began drawing a symbol of the days weather and with the advent of the Weather Network I could add the high or low temperature beneath it. I also began to tuck in observations about the change of seasons and the creatures we might see during outings on water or on trails. 

Some of these observations have been spectacular such as being close to beluga whales or having a pod of porpoises swim beneath our kayaks while on Grand Manan Island. I've recorded seeing the Northern Lights and waiting out the ferocity of Hurricane Dorian in an old house on an island off Newfoundland. As often as not its been the more humble occurrences such as spotting the first Monarch butterfly in the season or a hummingbird at our backyard feeder. Not along ago we were kayaking on a nearby river and I saw a swallow darting about just in front of me. I realized it was chasing a dragonfly which was doing aerobatics to avoid becoming lunch. Of course I noted this in my journal that evening. 

Do dragonflies bite or sting humans? - Discover Wildlife

All these notations come and go and most will be forgotten. Yet I feel that with my scribbles  I'm intentionally being attentive to the world around me, honouring God's wondrous world. I will often reflect on what I've seen within the text of my journal, a form of prayer in my estimation. 

Recently I bought the book How To Teach Nature Journaling: Curiosity, Wonder, Attention -- how could I resist. It's an illustrated guide for educators and I've been perusing it with our 7-year-old grandson, a keen observer of the natural world. He has been quite enthused so we gave him a journal with blank pages. He has been drawing and colouring up a storm of creature sightings and maps of our outings. His delight is a tonic for me.

So, Groundlings, might you keep a nature or Creation journal?  Doing so may be a fountain of youth and a spiritual awakening! 


No comments:

Post a Comment