Saturday, January 29, 2022

In the Beginning was the (Green) Wordle

 

                                                                                         from Grist

This is Sunday morning, so does today's Groundling blog title qualify as extra blasphemous as I flippantly distort the luminous opening words from John's gospel? It may be Winter but I feel I may need to dodge some lighting bolts.

Unless you've been living at one of Earth's poles you'll be aware of a recent online word game called Wordle, invented by a clever tech guy named Josh Wardle (get it, Wardle, Wordle?) for his word game loving partner. It started out for just the two of them, then was shared with family, then released for anyone and everyone. Within a few months it has become a global phenomenon, and the now millions of players love it. It is simple at one level, with only one five-letter word a day and a handful of tries allowed to solve the puzzle, yet challenging at another, and from what I can see, addictive.  

In our family, wife Ruth, our three adult children, and a sister-in-law who may read this, check in daily on how many tries it takes them to decipher the word. I feign indifference but look over Ruth's shoulder if I'm around when she's solving the puzzle. It is clever. 

Why am I writing about this in my Groundling environmental blog, you might ask? Well, there is now a green version of Wordle called -- you guessed it A Greener Worldle.  

https://agreenerworldle.org/

In this iteration the word of the day has something to do with our over-heated planetary home, such as clean, adapt, or drown in order for the tiles to turn green and the endorphin rush to kick in. Why not? 

Well, I'm done with this shameless exploitation of a viral trend. I'm off to sing that popular chorus, "He's got the whole wordle, in his hands..." 


                                                            New Yorker cartoon, January 10, 2022



No comments:

Post a Comment