Saturday, January 29, 2022

Reflections from a "Be-wildered Outside"

  

                                                         

                                       The Church of the Woods, New Hampshire

I have swept away your transgressions like a cloud, and your sins like mist;
return to me, for I have redeemed you.


Sing, O heavens, for the Lord has done it; 
shout, O depths of the earth;
break forth into singing, O mountains, O forest, and every tree in it!

Isaiah 44:22-23

In January 2017 - five years ago -- my retirement from 37 years of pastoral ministry in the United Church of Canada was only a few months off and I was anticipating the freedom of becoming a "be-wildered outsider", as I began to describe myself. I wanted more time outdoors and a lot more moments of wonder and praise in Creation. I also looked forward to being outside some of the strictures of congregational and denominational life which were increasingly claustrophic for me. 

I'm pleased to say that this has been my experience as we've paddled and cycled and rambled our way into the natural world, everywhere from the Azores, to an island in our beloved Newfoundland,  to the woods at the end of our street. We do have a congregational home which we enjoy in nearby Trenton where our son is pastor, and we've found ways we can contribute there, but without meetings!

That January I saw an article in Harper's Magazine called The Priest in the Trees Feral faith in the age of climate change by one of my favourite essayists, Fred Bahnson. It was about The Church of the Woods, a small, semi-feral congregation led by the Rev. Stephen Blackmer, a formerly agnostic environmental activist who had a "Road to Damascus", or perhaps a "Trail to New Hampshire" mystical experience through which he found his way to Anglican priesthood and an outdoor congregation. The scripture above is from a ramble/service in which Fred Bahnson participated.

 Blackmer is now a key figure in the organization called Kairos Earth. Their stated mission is:

We seek to renew a widespread understanding of the natural world as sacred, and to restore this awareness as a foundation of both religious practice and practical action to conserve the Earth.

I loved this story and this commitment. I loved and still love that scripture and sacrament and even confession are part of the experience. Immediately I had a deep desire to establish some sort of ministry with other "bewildered outsiders" who experienced the holy and a sense of God-in-Three-Persons in the world beyond church doors. 

I regret that this is yet to happen. Even though Ruth and I are an outdoors congregation of two at times, with a spiritual and Christian intention, I "minana-ed" in the first couple of years, enjoying my freedom. Then COVID sent us all sideways like a gale-force crosswind. The irony is that while millions have been rediscovering the blessing of being outside the precautions and prohibitions about gathering quashed the notion of a sort of free-range worship invitation. 

Will we emerge from COVID caution and will I follow through on my desire for Worship in Woods and by Water? I hope so. In the meantime, I will receive the blessings of the world outside as a Groundling who loves the Creator and Creation.

Here are links to the Harper's article and to Kairos Earth:

https://harpers.org/archive/2016/12/the-priest-in-the-trees/

https://kairosearth.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment