Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Peace Which Surpasses Understanding & Love for Creation

 


                                                         View from my study window this morning

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 

Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. 

Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7

 Some of you will have noticed that this January I have been writing Groundling blog entries again after a hiatus of three months. I didn't intend to step away for so long but the mental focus and energy of trying to maintain two blogs (Lion Lamb is the other) was a little too much. It's strange because I'm passionate about issues regarding the environment and the climate crisis, and that gratitude and praise for Creator and Creation are key to my faith and the flourishing of all species. 

After writing my Lion Lamb blog entry this very cold morning I sat in my study pondering what my Groundling subject might be. I looked out the window to see the stark shapes of our backyard birch trees against a blue sky (sorry for the grainy image in the photo) In the foreground was the birthday card one our daughters gave me last October, the work of British printmaker Angela Harding -- Jocelyn knows me well.

I was filled with that sense of "the peace of God which surpasses all understanding" which the apostle Paul speaks about in one of my favourite passages. I have written before that at times when I wake in the night, anxious about the state of the world, I mumble through these verses as best I can.

Today I also find comfort in the verses below as well, which can be an antidote to cynicism or despair or anger because it seems as though the natural world is going to hell in a handbasket due to greed and disregard for the beauty and vitality of our planetary home. I am en-couraged to keep on doing what I can as a Groundling who loves the Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer, and who finds both solace and wonder in Creation. I will endeavour to venture outside and give thanks today, even if the words freeze and tumble to the snow! 

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 

Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

Philippians 4:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment